Thursday, May 14, 2009

Roast Chicken ala Backyard Bistro

Yesterday I not only cooked some wonderful Italian styled bread with my Backyard Bistro, but since the oven was hot (over 550 for the bread) I decided to roast a whole chicken.  I always roast in a pan with a roasting rack.  The chicken was fresh so did not need to thaw.  Sprinkled with garlic salt, sea salt, and ground pepper and placed it in a hot oven with alder wood as the heat source, turned down the air intake on the fire and the damper on the chimney, opened the smoke to the oven and let it go.  Within a half hour you could hear the chicken sizzling in the oven.  After about an hour and a half with the heat slowly decreasing, I had a beautiful finished product, golden brown with a perfect hint of smoked flavor.  Juicy and moist, this is the way to do chicken. And virtually trouble free!  Just pop it in and let it go.   Wow! This is really fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment