Sunday, May 10, 2009

Pork Spare Ribs in my Wood fired Oven

Three nights ago I cooked some beautiful pork spare ribs in my Backyard Bistro (outdoorpizzaoven.net) and was more than pleased at how they turned out.  Everyone who was lucky enough to get a sample loved them!  I heated the oven to approximately 400 degrees and put the ribs in a rib rack that I purchased at Home Depot for about 10 dollars.  Then I sprinkled them with sea salt, ground black pepper, and garlic powder.  Then I just loaded them into the wood fired oven and since I was burning alder as my cooking wood, opened the smoke to the oven.  I did not add more wood to the oven as the ribs progressed but let the fire do it's thing with an open draft.  As the fire began to burn down a bit the heat mellowed and the ribs slow cooked after being seared at the initial higher heat.  I cooked them this way for about an hour and a half and for the last 30 minutes shut the draft on the wood fired burner and the draft on the chimney and just let them percolate.  They turned out beautiful!  They had just the perfect patina.... seared, and a bit singed on the extremities, as though they had been grilled, but tender and juicy and delicately smoke flavored because they were oven cooked.  Outrageous!  Oh, I forgot to mention......also, at the half hour before taking them out.......I brushed on Fletcher's wonderful barbeque sauce...the spiciest form.... and was very pleased with the added twist.

No comments:

Post a Comment